The Temple of Paofai in Tahiti is the heart of the Ma’ohi protestant church. It was built in 1981 on the site of the first small chapel made of bamboo and woven leaves, constructed in 1818. The Sunday 10 o’clock service is well attended by the community. In their best Sunday dress, their heads covered by large hats woven from plant fibres, the faithful leave their pick-ups parked in triple file in the small street alongside the pastel pink church and take part in the sermon, singing the long hymns (himene) at the tops of their voices. 45% of Tahiti’s population is Protestant, 34% Catholic, with 6% members of the Mormon church and other minor connected cults.